Laws & Regulation
Disposable Vape Ban Faces Backlash Amid Warnings of Black Market Surge
The government’s upcoming ban on disposable vapes is already facing severe criticism, with industry groups and campaigners warning it’s likely to backfire — and could put consumers at greater risk.
Campaign group We Vape says the ban, which aims to tackle underage vaping and environmental concerns, won’t work as planned. According to the group, the government’s enforcement plans are far too weak, with just 80 new trainee Trading Standards officers set to cover thousands of vape retailers across the UK, backed by only £10 million in funding. Experts had previously estimated at least three times that amount would be needed to enforce the ban effectively in its first year.
Also Read: New Vape Law in England: £600 Fines for Disposable Vape Sales Starting June 1
Also Rad: UK Advertising Authority Cracks Down on Vape Ads, Bans Two Big Names
Also Read: New Vape Law in England: £600 Fines for Disposable Vape Sales Starting June 1
What This Means for You
Enforcement will mostly rely on public tip-offs and intelligence-led investigations, meaning illegal sales are likely to continue — especially online and through rogue traders. But many worry that this could lead consumers, especially young people, to buy poorly controlled, black market products with unpredictable health risks.We Vape founder Mark Oates said, “The ban will not stop underage vaping because disposables will remain easily available online and from unscrupulous sellers. Instead, it risks creating a booming black market and could even increase smoking rates if smokers lose access to a product that helps them quit.”
Illegal Vape Seizures on the Rise
According to recent figures, authorities confiscated 1.2 million illicit vapes in 2023-2024; this was an increase of 59% from the previous year. Once disposables are officially banned, the campaigners warn that the black market will flourish and unsafe products will continue to circulate in communities.Also Rad: UK Advertising Authority Cracks Down on Vape Ads, Bans Two Big Names
Potential Risks for Local Communities
Additionally, We Vape has also raised fears that criminal gangs could also be drawn into the black market trade, resulting in turf wars and further straining local police resources — a situation already said to be occurring in parts of Australia as a result of such legislation. Conservative MP Jack Rankin voiced his support for the concerns, stating,“Without proper funding and a clear strategy, this legislation is not fit for purpose. Trading Standards are under pressure, and without the right resources, enforcement will struggle.”
What You Should Know
- Disposables are not yet banned, but new laws are forthcoming.
- Online sales and black market traders may become more active as enforcement struggles to keep up.
- Where products are not regulated, consumers should be very wary, as they may not be compatible with the UK safety standards.
- The industry is calling on the government to think again and adopt fairer and more effective solutions, including deposit return schemes and better age verification for online sales.